These requirements apply to students entering the Honors Program in Fall 2016 or later. Students who began the Program prior to Fall 2016 should find their completion requirements here.
Requirements to Graduate with University Honors
- Honors seminar (HNRS 177, 190 or 195).
- At least six Honors courses totaling at least 18 credit hours.
- May include Honors Course Contract (300+, max 2), Graduate Level Course (700+), Less Commonly Taught Language (max 2), and/or Departmental Honors Course.
- Courses taken can also count towards ELEs (Enhanced Learning Experiences).
- Four ELEs selected from the eight options below.
To remain in good standing with the University Honors Program, students must maintain a GPA of 3.25 or above and demonstrate progress toward Requirements to Graduate with University Honors.
Enhanced Learning Experiences (ELEs)
Students must complete four distinct experiences from the list below. Each ELE may have course-based and/or experience-based paths for completion. No one activity can fulfill two separate experiences (though a course taken toward the 18 hours of Honors credit can also count toward an ELE). Upon completion of each ELE, students will post a reflection question in their KU Portal.
1. Public Service
2. Cultural Literacy & Social Justice
3. Global Citizenship
4. Aesthetic Engagement
5. Professional Development & Social Entrepreneurship
7. Research Skills & In-Depth Learning
8. Interdisciplinarity & Breadth of Learning
Student-initiated Experience: Some valuable learning experiences may not fit neatly into the categories listed above. Students are welcome to propose alternative experiences for review/approval by University Honors Program staff.
Submitting your Enhanced Learning Experiences
Log into your KU portal. On the front page, locate and click the “Customize” button in the upper left portion. You will then have the option to search for additional panes to add to your KU portal. Search for “undergraduate certificates,” and add this to your page. Locate the button for the “Honors Program” and submit your experience through this mechanism. You will be prompted to complete and submit a description for the experience and a reflection piece, based on the specific ELE question listed.