Honors Opportunity Awards
These awards, approximately $200-$1,000, provide financial support to Honor Students to take advantage of opportunities for intellectual and academic growth. Study abroad programs, service work, internships (unpaid or with significant financial costs), conferences (out-of-state or international) and off-campus research are examples of such opportunities. (For on-campus research funding opportunities, see the Center for Undergraduate Research.)
Review Committee Considerations:
- Students must be members of the University Honors Program to apply, with undergraduate status while participating in the opportunity.
- Applications will be evaluated according to how well an opportunity enriches a student’s course of study. Priority will be given to students who are active in the University Honors Program and receiving an Honors Opportunity Award for the first time. Financial need will also be a consideration.
- For study abroad programs, priority will be given to students traveling abroad for the first time. The review committee will also consider the time length of the program.
- For conferences, priority will be given to students presenting at the conference.
Students are allowed to submit only one application per Award Period and only one application per Opportunity.
Three Award Periods:
|Period I||November 1|
|Period II||February 1|
|Period III||April 15|
Awards are usually granted within one month of the application due date. Successful applicants may be required to submit additional tax-related paperwork prior to receiving the funding.
- Student Application
- Faculty Recommendation Form - A faculty recommendation is only required when a student is proposing an independent opportunity that has not already been approved through another University office. Examples when recommendations are not needed: KU Study Abroad Programs, Alternative Breaks, Jayhawk Health Initiative, Engineers without Borders. Email email@example.com if you have questions about whether a recommender is required.
Note: Awards may be considered taxable income to parents or to students who have “independent” financial aid status. Special tax rules, which vary by country, may apply to international students.
Virtually all Honors awards and scholarships are funded by private donors. Students who are selected may be awarded from one of the following funds:
|Dr. Thomas D. Bath, Summerfield Scholars Honors Opportunity Award||Supports KU Honors Student opportunities. Preference for in-state students.|
|The Bernard And Zeugin Family Fund||Supports KU Honors Student opportunities. Preference for students from Leavenworth County, KS.|
|Box Jayhawk Health Initiative Grant||Supports KU Honors Students participating in the Jayhawk Health Initiative.|
|Brad Bradley Internship Fund||Supports KU Honor Students participating in non-profit internships.|
|Lavon Brosseau Honors Program Special Opportunity Fund||Supports KU Honors Student opportunities. Preference will be given to students who demonstrate financial need.|
|James K. Hitt Opportunity Award||Supports KU Honors Student opportunities. Preference for three equal awards to support creative exploration and research in each of the three general disciplinary areas.|
|Harrison Jedel and Jeff Weinberg Scholars Opportunity Fund||Supports KU Honors Pre-medical and Engineering Students. Expenditures may include, but are not limited to scholarship support and funding for special student opportunities.|
|Katzman-Brooks Family Fund||Supports KU Honors Student opportunities.|
|Mays Family Opportunity Fund in Honors||Supports KU Honors Student opportunities.|
|Drs. Lou and Gary McClelland Honors Research Endowment||Supports KU Honors Student Research in the College of Liberal Arts and Sciences.|
|Miller Make a Difference Fund||Supports KU Honors Student awards for underrepresented and first-generation students with demonstrated need.|
|David A. Ontjes, Md, Honors Opportunity Fund||Supports KU Honors Student opportunities.|
|James C. and Julia Markham Piper Fund||Supports KU Honors Student opportunities.|
|Sailors London Review Fund||Supports KU Honors Students participating in the London Review.|
|Saricks Humanities Opportunity Fund||Supports KU Honors Students study of the humanities - used for, but not limited to, lectures on the humanities, students studying the humanities, travel funds for conferences or seminars.|
|Schurle Family Study Abroad Fund||Supports KU Honors Students in study abroad programs.|
|Kala Mays Stroup Intern Fund||Supports KU Honors Students engaged in internships or research with nonprofit, philanthropic, or public service organizations.|
|Russ and Barb Swenson Opportunity Fund||Supports KU Honors Students travel to South America, Central America, or the Caribbean with a preference for significant undergraduate field research.|
|David and Nancy Pinet Tilford Family Fund||Supports KU Honors Student opportunities.|
|University Honors Program Advisory Board Awards||Supports KU Honors Student opportunities.|
|Thomas and Sharon Van Dyke Opportunity Fund in Honors||Supports KU Honors Student opportunities.|
|J. Michael Young Opportunity Award||Supports KU Honors Student opportunities.|
|Young Family Opportunity Award||Supports KU Honors Student opportunities. Preference will be given to students who demonstrate financial need.|