The Honors Ambassadors Program application period is currently closed. When we begin looking for more Honors Ambassadors, a message will be included in the weekly Honors newsletter. Applications are reviewed on a rolling basis. If you have any questions, please contact Collin Clay at firstname.lastname@example.org or (785) 864-0241.
Has the University Honors Program played an important role in your education at KU? Would you like to help other high-ability students decide to come to KU, and help make sure that they succeed once they arrive? Do you remember how important it was to speak to our best and brightest students when you were trying to make your college decision? Give back to Honors by joining its talented, enthusiastic corps of Honors Ambassadors.
As the Honors program identifies and recruits high-ability prospective students, Honors Ambassadors play an important role in making those students and their families feel comfortable at KU. Accordingly, ambassadors are asked to assist with a number of recruiting events. Involvement can range from speaking one-on-one with prospective students about your academic field and experience with Honors to giving brief presentations on your experience to larger groups of students and parents.
Ambassadors must have strong communication skills and feel comfortable speaking to other students in a variety of structured and unstructured settings.
Honors Ambassadors work closely with the Honors program staff in planning information sessions and welcome receptions held in Nunemaker Center. Honors Ambassadors help to represent the Honors program at various campus recruitment events. The time commitment for this program varies depending on the student's schedule. Honors Ambassadors have flexibility in determining their level of participation in events and programs.
Membership: Current students in the University Honors Program, selected through the process detailed below.
Purpose: To provide a positive student contact for prospective students and their families as they consider Honors at KU. Such contact would occur through on-campus recruitment events, an annual spring reception for prospective students and families, and other recruitment events designed by the Honors program.
Mission: Recruitment is most effective when it includes a variety of voices, including students. Honors Ambassadors will develop teamwork, communication, and leadership skills as they meet with families and plan events to enhance the recruitment process.
Selection: Current students in the University Honors Program can fill out an Honors Ambassador Application in order to be considered for an Honors Ambassador position. Well-qualified applicants will be interviewed by the program coordinators.
Duties of Honors Ambassadors:
- Attend the Fall and Spring Honors Receptions for admitted students
- Assist with prospective student visits, upon request (including, but not limited to, lab tours, class visits, class escorts, meetings, etc.) by sharing your personal Honors experience and understanding of the opportunities and resources available through Honors
- Attend Scholar Day lunches and panel discussions
- Represent the University Honors Program at different events throughout the year, such as special prospective student visit days
- Participate in outreach campaigns for prospective students, including letter writing
- Attend meetings throughout the semester with the program coordinators
- Regularly attend Honors pogram special events, including lectures and other academic programs