Nunemaker Resources

Nunemaker Center houses the University Honors Program (UHP) at 1502 Engel Road, directly across from Templin Hall.  Student can use the full kitchen downstairs to cook meals and desserts, there are usually snacks around, and coffee can be made upon request. Nunemaker is a great study facility for individuals or groups; having wireless internet and open until 10:00pm Sunday-Thursday.  Keep an eye out in the Honors Weekly Email for fun opportunities, such as guest speakers, movies, and activities.

Weekly emails

Check your email - plain and simple. The University Honors Program (UHP) sends emails weekly about all things pertaining to the honors program. These involve information about research, cool events, guest speakers, scholarships, jobs and internship opportunities.

How to set up an Honors advising appointment

If your honors seminar meets at Nunemaker, chances are your advisor has an office here. In this case, call the UHP office at 785-864-4225 to set up an appointment. If your advisor’s primary office is not in Nunemaker, email him or her directly to set up an appointment. Try not to wait until the last minute to set up an appointment, especially if you’re trying to lift an advising hold or select classes for your next semester.

Requirements to Graduate with University Honors

  • Honors seminar (HNRS 177, 190 or 195).

  • At least six Honors courses totaling at least 18 credit hours.

  • May include Honors Course Contract (300+, max 2), Graduate Level Course (700+), Less Commonly Taught Language (max 2), and/or Departmental Honors Course.

  •  Courses taken can also count towards ELEs (Enhanced Learning Experiences).

  • Four ELEs selected from the eight options below.  ​

To remain in good standing with the University Honors Program, students must maintain a GPA of 3.25 or above and demonstrate progress toward Requirements to Graduate with University Honors. 


Enhanced Learning Experiences (ELEs)

Students must complete four distinct experiences from the list below.  Each ELE may have course-based and/or experience-based paths for completion. No one activity can fulfill two separate experiences (though a course taken toward the 18 hours of Honors credit can also count toward an ELE). Upon completion of each ELE, students will post a reflection question in their KU Portal.

1. Public Service
2. Cultural Literacy & Social Justice 
3. Global Citizenship
4. Aesthetic Engagement
5. Professional Development & Social Entrepreneurship
6. Leadership
7. Research Skills & In-Depth Learning
8. Interdisciplinarity & Breadth of Learning

Student-initiated Experience:  Some valuable learning experiences may not fit neatly into the categories listed above. Students are welcome to propose alternative experiences for review/approval by University Honors Program staff. 

Submitting your Enhanced Learning Experiences

Log into your KU portal. On the front page, locate and click the “Customize” button in the upper left portion. You will then have the option to search for additional panes to add to your KU portal. Search for “undergraduate certificates,” and add this to your page. Locate the button for the “Honors Program” and submit your experience through this mechanism. You will be prompted to complete and submit a description for the experience and a reflection piece, based on the specific ELE question listed.


Honors Program Links:

The Honors Program provides several ways for you to stay connected and informed about events and activities.



   News and Events


Honors Student Council

The UHP Student Council is the student voice in the Honors Program. In addition to representing the honors students on matters of policy, and on search committees, the Council officers and committee chairs work with the honors staff on a variety of projects throughout the year fundraising, community service activities, social events, and information meetings. Check out their website here.

Learning Community Sign-Up Sheet

Campus Life

Tutoring Services

Academic Achievement and Access Center offers tutoring! Small group tutoring is available on campus for a nominal fee. The tutors are KU students who have met grade requirements and received recommendations from faculty members. All groups meet two days per week (one-and-one-half hours per session). Students who are interested may call 785.864.7733 with questions. Students may request a tutor group prior to and during the first 10 weeks of a semester.

These groups will provide a learning environment that may be less intimidating for many students than assistance in a large lecture setting. Tutor groups function like structured study groups, with the tutor as a peer expert -- a student who can empathize with others' classroom experience. Tutors will NOT check homework or lecture; they will break down problems, clarify, discuss, explain, and show... this is a highly interactive learning experience. Tutees will be encouraged to problem-solve and to become self-directed learners. A complete list of courses can be found here

Academic Achievement and Access Center (AAAC)

The AAAC serves as the home for Disability Resources for students at KU. If you have a documented disability, you work directly with Disability Resources to provide and coordinate the appropriate accommodations. Contact Disability Resources in order to secure the proper accommodations. The AAAC also offers specific academic success workshops give you more information on succeeding as a student. These workshops cover a multitude of topics, ranging from study skills to goal setting. These workshops, presented by AAAC staff, can be helpful to you in preparing for academics at a college level. Check out the Workshop Schedule to find one that will work for you!

UKan Teach/Teach for America

UKanTeach is an innovative teacher preparation program for students interested in becoming secondary (grades 6-12) mathematics and science teachers. The UKanTeach certificate program is designed to be completed along with an approved BS or BA degree to fulfill the requirements necessary for the UKanTeach Certificate in your desired area of licensure: mathematics, biology, chemistry, earth and space science, or physics. Students interested can visit UKanTeach for more details.

Teach for America is an organization that recruits committed recent college graduates and professionals of all backgrounds to teach for two years in urban and rural public schools. You can learn more about this program by visiting their website:

Meeting New People

There are many great ways to meet new people when you first come to KU. Attending floor activities in your residence or scholarship hall is perhaps the easiest way to do this. Be open to meeting new people in your classes. Check out the SILC and Center for Community Outreach sections to learn more about student organizations and volunteering opportunities, which are also great ways to meet new people.  Attend Honors Program events: you will meet many first year students there.

Super Service Saturday

Super Service Saturday is one of many opportunities for students to get involved with the Lawrence community and connect with other KU students through volunteer work. Organized by the Center for Community Outreach (CCO), Super Service Saturday takes place during one of the first Saturdays of the fall semester, where KU students learn about the variety of volunteer programs coordinated by the CCO and are bused out to work with their program of choice for the afternoon. Lunch and T-shirts are provided.

All Sports combo (basketball/football pick-up)

This provides admission to all regular-season KU football and men’s basketball games as well as the chance to purchase post-season tickets.  Admission to games is based on available seating. Football tickets are picked up from the ticket office at Allen Fieldhouse during the first week of classes, or on game days at the Northeast corner of Memorial Stadium. Basketball tickets can be picked up in sets of games (usually broken into 5 or 6 sets) at the Allen Fieldhouse ticket office for free or online for a small fee. While football tickets are physical tickets, basketball tickets are electronically issued to your KU card. Your KU card is required to get into all football and basketball games. Basketball games often require students to join camping groups for admission to games even after purchasing the All Sports Combo. Ask your RA, Proctor, or an upperclassman for more information on camping groups.

Found under Enroll and Pay->Campus Finances->Account Inquiry-> Optional Student Fees

Cost: $150 for everything or $45 for football only. Specific information regarding the All-Sports Combo and rules for use/transfer can be found here.

Intramurals, renting things etc. at the rec.

KU’s Recreation Center (“The Rec”) has a wonderful array of opportunities that students can take advantage of in order to stay healthy and active. Aside from using the fitness facility, you can go to the Rec to participate in intramural sports, clubs, and classes. The Rec Center also allow students to check out equipment for outdoor pursuits, such as hiking, camping, canoeing, and biking. A list of rental equipment is available here.


SUA on Facebook

Follow SUA on Twitter

Student Union Activities (SUA) is a student organization that has planned or “programmed” events for the entire KU community to enjoy for over 70 years.  The events are chosen, planned, and put on by seven student committees and largely promoted by the committees. SUA provides free event calendars to the KU community, usually placed within the packet of goodies given to you when you first moved in. These events range from monthly movies, Hawk Week giveaways, the Rock Chalk Block Party, Cosmic bowling on weekends, cooking competitions, concerts, and comedy shows. They also offer a student saver card, which is purchased through your optional campus fees and picked up at their office on the fourth floor of the Kansas Union. A full list of events can be found here.

Student Saver Card

For just $30, the SUA Student Saver Card is your ticket to movies, events, and discounts on campus. Get free admission to more than 18 movies, from new releases to independent films. Get discounts on select ticketed events, including headlining comedians, national bands and artists, and outstanding speakers, and buy tickets before anyone else. Past performers have included B.o.B, Kathy Griffin, and Dan Savage. Show the card at the KU Bookstore and get 15 percent off your merchandise purchase (excluding textbooks, electronics, food and snacks, and sale items). Get 1 dollar games and 1 dollar shoes at the Jaybowl, KU’s very own bowling alley. Get a free small soda with any purchase at the following KU Dining locations: The Underground, The Market, Crimson Café, Union Pulse, Murphy Hawk Stop, Visual Arts Hawk Stop, Mortar and Pestle Café, I.Q. Café, or JRP Hawk Stop..

Student Involvement Leadership Center (SILC)

The Student Involvement Leadership Center (SILC) keeps track of over 500 student organizations, including Greek Life, LGBT organizations, and various hobbies and interest groups. All student organizations are registered through SILC. To look at a list of campus organizations, you check out Here, you can find contact information and websites for these groups, where you can often find information regarding who to contact about joining.


Employment opportunities are updated daily at and you can search for student hourly positions by clicking the blue “search non-faculty jobs” button. Just check the box next to “student” on the page that follows.

University Daily Kansan (UDK)

The University Daily Kansan (UDK) is the student newspaper of the University of Kansas. Its staff members are student journalists working in a professional learning environment.  The first copy is paid through the student activity fee. Additional copies of the Kansan are 25 cents. Annual subscriptions ($250 + Tax) can be purchased at the Kansan business office, 2000 Dole Human Development Center, 1000 Sunnyside, Lawrence, KS 66045.

The UDK is published Monday through Thursday during the school year except fall break, spring break, exams and weekly during the summer session excluding holidays. 

Calendar of Events

You can access the KU Calendar of Events here:

Financial Aid

Check your financial aid status through Enroll and Pay, and you will be notified by email if any changes occur, including when bills are generated and need to be paid. If you were awarded a 4-year renewable scholarship, you must complete 30 KU hours and maintain a 3.4 GPA annually to retain your scholarship. If you were awarded The KU Pell Advantage, you must complete 24 KU hours and maintain a 2.5 GPA annually to retain this grant. The University Honors Program will also provide information about scholarships in weekly emails, or you can schedule an appointment with an Honors faculty member to learn about national scholarships. For more information about KU scholarships click here:

Where to use Beak’ Em Bucks

There are a variety of places to use your Beak’ Em Bucks. See here for locations accepting Beak’ Em Bucks both on-campus and off-campus.

Residence Hall Government

Hall governments plan hall activities and are the best groups to contact with ideas regarding the halls. Meetings are open to everyone and your ideas are welcome whether you are a representative, hold elected office, or are a resident. Hall governments are registered student organizations with the KU Student Involvement and Leadership Center.

Getting involved in Hall Government

Hall government is a great way to get involved in leadership positions on campus.  Each residence hall has its own government with 4-5 executive board positions (such as president and vice president) in addition to floor representatives; However, each hall has its own constitution, and consequently each hall government is unique in its structure and operation.  Hall governments are responsible for planning, coordinating, and executing programs for residents of their respective halls, but hall governments may also co-program events for multiple halls. Programs can include social events, such as hall dinners, but may also be community events, such as fundraisers for local charities or shelters.  Elections for hall governments generally occur at the beginning of the school year, so ask an ACD (assistant complex director) or your RA (resident assistant) for details if interested.

Association of University Residence Halls (AURH)

The purpose of the AURH is to encourage cooperation among the residence halls, foster a spirit of unity among residents and provide opportunities for social, intellectual, and cultural development of students. Each residence hall resident is an AURH member. The voting assembly consists of the executive board and elected representatives from each hall. The AURH president serves as a representative to the Student Housing Advisory Board (SHAB) to represent the interests of the association and to relay ideas from SHAB back to residents. AURH is a registered student organization with the KU Student Involvement and Leadership Center. The office is located in 205 McCollum Hall, 785-864-4041.

Getting involved in AURH

AURH (Association of University Residence Halls) is another great way for students to become involved in leadership opportunities on campus. In addition to the AURH executive board, which generally consists of sophomores, juniors, and seniors who live on campus and are involved in residence hall life, two representatives from each residence hall government attend each AURH meeting.  AURH is responsible for coordinating events for all students living in KU student housing and for reviewing student housing policies on student rights.  Ask your ACD (assistant complex director) for details if interested.


National Residence Hall Honorary (NRHH)

NRHH works closely with AURH, ASHC, JTTA, and SPA to recognize the achievements of hall leaders. This organization recognizes students who live in the halls and make extraordinary contributions that benefit the student housing community. The nomination and screening process for new members is conducted each semester, culminating with an induction ceremony for new members. NRHH is a registered student organization with the Student Involvement and Leadership Development Center and is located in 205 McCollum Hall, 785-864-4046.

Student Housing Advisory Board (SHAB)

SHAB recommends policy and program development for university-owned student housing. Its membership consists of student leaders from various on-campus living units, faculty and staff members, and the Director and Associate Director of Student Housing. SHAB serves as an advisory board to the administrative offices concerned with student housing and considers special items that may be referred from campus student government, AURH, ASHC, JTTA, or SPA. Students are represented through these organizations and a representative from the Student Senate University Affairs Committee.

Jayhawker Towers Tenant Association (JTTA)

Each apartment resident is automatically a member of the Jayhawker Towers Tenant

Association (JTTA), an organization that fosters resident interaction and communication. The JTTA president is elected as a representative to the Student Housing Advisory Board (SHAB) to represent the interests of the association and to relay ideas from SHAB back to residents. Everyone is urged to attend JTTA meetings. Contact the Complex Director if you have questions or suggestions.

Stouffer Place Association (SPA)

The Stouffer Place Association (SPA) is an established forum for residents to represent

neighborhood issues of common interest and provide for community interaction. The prime objective of SPA is to maintain the quality of life at Stouffer Place. SPA provides educational, cultural, academic, and social activities to benefit the community. Activities have included neighborhood social events, recitals, information fairs, safety presentations, and children’s parties. A list of current Stouffer Place Association officers is available in the Apartment Living and Guest Services office. The SPA Housing Liaison serves as a representative to the Student Housing Advisory Board (SHAB) to represent the interests of the association and to relay ideas from SHAB back to residents.

Scholarship Hall Government

Scholarship Halls are traditionally self-governed by residents who actively participate in

developing their community. Leadership positions are available for returning and new residents. Scholarship hall governments are registered student organizations with the KU Student Involvement and Leadership Development Center.

All Scholarship Hall Council (ASHC)

The purpose of ASHC is to encourage cooperation among the scholarship halls, foster a spirit of unity among residents and provide opportunities for students’ social, intellectual, and cultural development. Each scholarship hall resident is a member of ASHC. ASHC membership consists of an executive board, hall presidents, and a representative from each hall government. ASHC president is a representative to the Student Housing Advisory Board (SHAB) to represent the interests of the association and relay ideas from SHAB back to residents. ASHC is a registered student organization with the Student Involvement and Leadership Center. The office is located in the Crawford Community Center, 785-864-5099.

Scholarship Hall Judicial or Advisory Boards

These boards are made up of four to seven residents in each hall. These students hear

disciplinary cases such as shift infractions. When necessary, the board recommends sanctions or further disciplinary procedures as advised by the SHD.

Student and Professional Staff

Resident Assistant (RA)/Apartment Resident Assistant (ARA)

The RA/ARA staff members are an important link in the chain between academic achievement and personal growth in the university community. RA/ARAs are carefully selected student staff members who have demonstrated leadership skills and academic performance. The primary responsibilities of these staff members are advising and guiding residents, communicating information, fostering a sense of community, and enforcing Student Housing policy. RAs are valuable resources if a student needs help with academic, social, or personal problems. They receive special training in all aspects of residential living and usually know the answers to questions and if not, they know where to find answers. Your RA is there to help you as an individual and your floor as a group. The ARAs for Stouffer Place are responsible for daily operation of the complex. They foster neighborhood familiarity and unity, communicate regularly with residents and office staff, report on necessary maintenance, and facilitate move-ins and daily concerns.


Proctors are carefully selected scholarship hall student staff members with demonstrated leadership skills whose primary responsibilities are supervision of hall shifts and reporting maintenance concerns, as well as to serve as a link between the residents and SHD. They are valuable resources for academic, social, personal or hall problems. Proctors receive special training in all aspects of scholarship hall living and usually know, or can find, the answers to your questions. Your proctor is there to help you as an individual and your hall as a group.

Food Board Manager (FBM)

Food Board Managers are carefully selected scholarship hall student staff members with demonstrated leadership skills whose primary responsibilities are to develop healthy menus and order appropriate food for each meal, to organize and manage the scholarship hall kitchen, and to serve as a link between the residents and SHD. They receive special training in all aspects of scholarship hall living and specifically help train new students on their kitchen duties. Like Proctors, FBMs are also trained to deal with hall conflicts, maintenance concerns, and serve as a resource for scholarship hall residents.

Complex Director (CD)

Complex Directors are full-time professional staff members who have earned their master's degree in a field related to higher education administration. They live in the halls or apartments, supervising the graduate staff and working to foster a community through advising hall governments, coordination with staff on the student conduct process, enforcing policy, educational and social program development, leadership development through hall government, and implementing administrative procedures.

Assistant Complex Director (ACD)

ACDs are graduate students who live in the complex. They assist the CD in managing the complex. They directly supervise Resident Assistants and help with student issues, conduct concerns, and referrals.

Scholarship Hall Director (SHD)

Scholarship Hall Directors are graduate students who assist the complex director with the overall management of the scholarship halls. SHDs oversee two scholarship halls and supervise the proctors and food board managers. They develop relationships with the students in the halls and help with leadership development, student concerns and referrals.

Requesting a Change in Your Room, Suite or Apartment Assignment

Residence Halls & Jayhawker Towers - Hall Changes

Residents who wish to change to another hall or room, suite, or apartment make the request by contacting the administrative associate. If space is available, an offer to move will be made by the complex director of the building to which you are moving. If you do not move (including checking out of your current hall) within the timeframe, you may be charged for both spaces.

Scholarship Halls

There is a transfer process to request a different scholarship hall. See your Scholarship Hall Director as soon as you wish a transfer.

Stouffer Place (Internal transfers)

From September through November and February through April, internal transfers are processed for those on a waiting list. Internal transfers will be offered once. If the offer is declined, the request is cancelled. There is no charge to transfer; however, if the transfer is not completed within three days, the resident will be charged for both apartments during the move, including the initial three days. For information, contact the Apartment Living and Guest Services office, 785-864-8305.

Quiet places to study

The University of Kansas campus has wonderful locations for quiet places to study. From libraries to computer labs, resource and reading rooms, there is something for everybody. Click here to see locations and times available. Then there is always Nunemaker Center!


How to address professors

Address professors as Dr. or Professor _____________.  DO NOT use first names, Mr., Mrs., Ms., etc.

Email Etiquette

When constructing an email, it is important to remember a few key points. First, address the recipient appropriately. Open with a salutation (“Hello” or “Dear”) and the person’s name with the appropriate title (Dr. or Professor____ when emailing professors, first name only when addressing a teaching assistant or graduate student). If it is your first time emailing someone, give your name and some context for how they would know you or what you need (“My name is ________ and I am in you HNRS 190 class” or “My name is _______ and I am interested in learning more about _________”). Keep your email concise and to the point. End with an appropriate valediction before your name (Regards, Best, Thank you, etc.) when ending the email. Make sure you use your KU email and have an appropriate alias established.

Getting to know professors

In your first week of classes, your professors will provide a syllabus with their office hours. Make sure you take advantage of these hours, as professors are generally more willing to answer questions at this time. The college of Liberal Arts and Sciences even has a program where you can take a professor out to lunch with you, and the college will pay for it. It is important and highly recommended to reach out to your professors, as building connections with faculty can help in the future when you want recommendation letters for a job or need research experience, and professors in your field of study can make excellent advisors, both for classes and beyond.

Working with other students

During your time at KU, you will undoubtedly make friends with people who are in your classes. Many of you will have similar classes as other students in your residence or scholarship halls. You are highly encouraged to form study groups - this is totally OK to do! You will often have study guides given to you by your instructors prior to exams; it can be very helpful to look over this information with fellow classmates. Discussion, proofreading papers, and comparing answers on problems are great ways to improve your performance in class. Attending class discussions and exam review sessions can also help you to do better on tests and assignments. When you’re pairing up with a study buddy, make sure you are doing your fair share, and that you are not working in a way that could be considered academic dishonesty. Feel free to reference this website, just to be on the safe side.

How to use Blackboard

Blackboard — KU's learning management system — enables you to view course materials, announcements, important dates, grades and more. As a student, you can log in to Blackboard with your KU Online ID and Password to access available courses and MySuccess. Click here for technical instructions:

KU Core

The KU Core is a new curriculum designed to provide an in-depth educational experience for students while consolidating general education requirements. The Core allows students to have greater flexibility in their curriculum, making it easier to add additional majors, minors, co-majors, study abroad opportunities, and out of classroom experiences. Students need to complete twelve units (classes and/or qualifying experiences) across six Core goals and outcomes.

Retroactive credit for languages

You can find more information about retroactive language credit, including information about AP, IB, and transfer credits by checking out the retroactive foreign language website.

Writing Center

Writers need feedback, sounding boards, and other people to coach and guide them while they compose. That's where the KU Writing Center comes in. It's a place for productive talk about writing, with trained peer consultants to help you brainstorm, draft or edit your writing. Their home base is in Anschutz Learning Studio, but they also send consultants to satellite locations around campus called Writer's Roosts. Appointment times are between the 9am-3pm Monday-Friday. Go to the writing center website to set up an appointment online:


Each semester, you are given $8.00 of free printing. You will see your balance whenever you log into one of KU’s computers on campus. Printing is $0.08 per page and color printing is $0.48 per page. Double sided documents are $0.16. When you confirm your printing job, you will go over to the printer and “release” the job. This consists of logging in or swiping your KU card. This feature is helpful if you don’t want to make multiple trips to the printer each time you print something - you can wait until you are done to print all of your documents.

Center for Civic and Social Responsibility

The Center for Civic and Social Responsibility (CCSR) oversees service learning efforts at KU and contributes to the Bold Aspirations goals for students' social responsibility and ethical behavior. The center offers one of several certification programs, the service learning certificate, which offers a chance for students to utilize their classroom skills to meet community needs and earn recognition at the same time. Getting certified involves several components, including taking a service learning course, completing additional volunteer work, and reflecting on your service learning experiences. This certification in service learning will appear on your transcript, showing that the university acknowledges your achievements. This opportunity is not available to students at all universities and will recognize the efforts you've undertaken beyond the classroom.

Alternative Breaks

Alternative Breaks is dedicated to giving students hands-on opportunities with service work where they can gain experience with some of the most pressing social issues facing our generation. As one of the biggest service learning initiatives at KU, they provide service trips for more than 500 students each year. They also provide a class component for our week-long Winter, Spring and Summer programs, as well as educational components for our shorter Fall and Weekend Breaks. Alternative Breaks includes programs here in Lawrence, as well as various parts of the United States. For more information, click here.

Center for Community Outreach

Founded in 1990 as an initiative for all students to directly access and serve the Lawrence community, the Center for Community Outreach (CCO) works with a variety of student groups, organizations and local nonprofits to best serve the community. Each program added to CCO has grown as a response to students’ passion for the arts, sustainability, homelessness, hunger, mentoring, advocacy and education. CCO offers 14 unique, student run programs, which respond to issues on a local, regional, national, or even global scale. CCO programs coordinate daily, weekly, monthly, and semi-annually service opportunities either independently or collaboratively with a campus or community agency. Their office is located on the fourth floor of the Kansas Union. For additional information about local volunteer opportunities, check out the Roger Hill Volunteer Center.

Undergraduate Research

We strongly encourage students to get involved in research within their first two years at KU. Having research experience can be incredibly helpful when students wishing to further their education beyond KU (e.g. medical school, graduate school), or for students wishing to be more competitive scholarship and internship applicants. A great way to learn about research opportunities is simply to ask a professor who conducts research in the field you are interested in. Many honors students have their own research projects, many of which are funded by undergraduate research awards. For more information, check out the Center for Undergraduate Research. Keep in mind that “research” is not limited to “hard sciences” such as chemistry - students across all disciplines participate in research.

Study abroad (

KU offers study abroad programs in about 70 countries spread over 6 continents, and nearly a third of KU students study abroad.  Programs can range from about a week over spring break or in summer to an academic year.  Examples of study abroad opportunities include language institutes, a semester in a university abroad, and internships abroad. FLAS (Foreign Language Area Studies) scholarships are offered for students studying high-demand languages such as Mandarin Chinese, Portuguese, and Arabic (for a full list of qualifying languages, see  Additional scholarships are offered through the language departments, via Honors Opportunity Funds (see the Honors website for forms and deadlines), and through the Office of Study Abroad.

Studying abroad counts as one of the three components towards GAP certification (see the section below).


The GAP (Global Awareness Program), as well as Certification in Service Learning, Research Experience Program, and a few others are certification programs offered by KU.  Each program is completed by fulfilling a set of components.  Links to these various lists of components are available at  Completed certifications will be listed on students’ transcripts.


The Ermal Garinger Academic Resource Center is an academic unit within the Humanities division of the College of Liberal Arts & Sciences. Our mission is to promote the learning and teaching of languages, cultures and humanities at the University of Kansas through the use of technology and other instructional media. In addition to housing a collection of approximately 12,000 audio and video items in over 60 languages, the Center contains three computer labs, a media-enhanced conference room, a soundproofed recording studio and a viewing area for small groups. We have a wide variety of portable equipment available for checkout, and provide instructors with a materials development area that includes the latest in hardware and software. We also offer training in new instructional technologies and support grant and research projects focusing on languages, cultures and the role of technology in the classroom.


Language Tables

Language tables are offered for a variety of languages at KU.  These provide students with an opportunity for informal practice with other speakers of the language from various levels of proficiency.  This is highly recommended for those wanting to improve their speaking skills or those with prior language experience who are unable to continue on with classes in their desired language.  A list of language tables offered and the times at which they meet is available by following the link below.



KU has two excellent museums on campus, located close to the Union. The Spencer Museum of Art is located directly west of the Union, and the Natural History Museum is located south of the Union on Jayhawk Blvd. You can learn more about their events at their respective websites: and

Dole Institute of Politics

The Dole Institute of Politics, dedicated in 2003, is home to the personal papers of Kansas native and WWII veteran Bob Dole, who represented Kansas in the U.S. Congress from 1961-1996. Relevant themes represented in the Archives include the Reagan presidency, the Cold War, international affairs (such as Iran Contra), the war on drugs, welfare, disability issues, HIV & AIDS, and birth control and abortion. The materials represent multiple perspectives from both the state and national levels. Learn more:

Concerts Downtown

Downtown Lawrence has a variety of fantastic venues for concerts, movies, and other events.  The Granada brings in both national and international popular music acts at reasonable prices, so students interested in performances should check out the Granda’s website.  Liberty Hall is another concert venue, but it also shows a variety of independent, foreign, and popular films at reasonable prices.  Both the Granada and Liberty Hall websites are linked below.

Granada website:

Liberty Hall Link:

Lied Center

The Lied Center is a building located west of the Daisy Hill residence halls. The main auditorium seats approximately 2,000 people and is host to Lied Center Presents performances. It also serves as a venue for KU Department of Dance; KU School of Music; and university and community events, performances and presentations. There is also a pavillion which serves as a performance venue and may also be transformed into a location for teacher workshops, master classes, educational programs, receptions, meetings and other center activities. To learn more about the Lied Center and buy tickets to performances, click here:

Kansas City First Fridays

"First Fridays" occur on the first Friday of every month year round, rain or shine. Art galleries, retailers and other participating art venues located in the Crossroads Art District showcase art from 7-9pm. Many old warehouses have been converted into antique shops, and shoppers can spend an entire day exploring all First Fridays have to offer. The Crossroads Community is a mile wide downtown area of Kansas City bounded by 15th St., I-35, the Freighthouse district, and Troost Ave. The heart of the Crossroads Arts District lays long 20th St. and Baltimore.

Lawrence Final Fridays

Final Friday’s art gallery walks are from 5pm – 8pm (many venues open later) on the last Friday of every month in downtown Lawrence. With over a dozen commercial galleries and numerous retailers, restaurants and even empty storefronts, downtown Lawrence comes alive for Final Fridays. Over 35 locations participate with visual art, fine craft art, performances and more. The Downtown Lawrence Arts District is a collaborative effort by the Lawrence Arts Center, Downtown Lawrence, Inc., the Lawrence Convention and Visitors Bureau, the Lawrence Chamber of Commerce and the Lawrence Cultural Arts Commission. DLAD was incorporate in June 2010 and is primarily funded by a grant from the Lawrence Cultural Arts Commission.

Library Hours and Locations

Anschutz : 1301 Hoch Auditoria Drive

24 – Hours Study Facility; Open 10am Sunday – 8pm Friday

Service Desk Hours:

Mon – Thu: 8am-midnight

Fri: 8am – 8pm

Sat: 10am – 8pm

Sun: 10am – midnight

Additional services:

Writer’s Roost (Writing Center Satellite Location)

Mon-Thu 9am – 5pm

Fri 9am – 3pm

Sat Not staffed

Sun 2pm – 5pm

iQ Café : Espresso, snacks, and Grab and Go Meals

Mon-Thu 7am – 11pm

Fri 7am – 2pm

Sat Closed

Sun 4pm – 10pm

Watson: 1425 Jayhawk Blvd

Late Night Hours

Library is open as a study facility from midnight to 3 am, Mon – Fri (overnight from Sun through Thu) when classes are in session

Service Desk Hours:

Mon – Thu: 8am-midnight

Fri: 8am – 8pm

Sat: 10am – 8pm

Sun: 10am – midnight

Writer’s Roost (Writing Center Satellite Location)

Open to all writers:

Sun-Thu 6pm – 9 pm

Fri-Sat Not staffed

Hawk Food Shop

Mon-Thu 8am – 7pm

Fri 8am – 2pm

Sat-Sun Closed


KU Info

KU Info is a great resource for finding just about anything you need to know about KU. You can search the KU Info database or text KU Info to get a quick answer to any questions you may have. For categories of commonly asked questions, go here.

Bus System

KU provides bus services to all students. This is a joint service with Lawrence Transit, so all the routes and schedules are available on their website. Here is a link to the beginner’s guide to buses: If you plan to live in the residence halls, you will most likely ride the “43 Campus Red Circulator” which stops at residence halls and on Jayhawk Blvd. You can find information about this and other routes at


If a student wishes to use a motor vehicle while at KU, it is highly advised that the student purchase a parking permit. However, there are many modes of transportation to get you around Lawrence, both on and off campus. Parking spaces are limited and permits often oversold, so it is encouraged that you consider whether or not you really need a car on campus. If you chose to use a bike, there are bicycle racks next to practically every building on campus. You do not need a permit for your bicycle, but we highly recommend that you register your bike with the Lawrence Police Department. It costs 25¢ per year, and is very helpful if your bike is stolen anywhere in the city, including on campus. If you need to drive to/park on campus, then you will need to purchase a parking permit. Parking permits are not valid everywhere, and you need to pay the parking meters — no matter what. Certain parts of campus are unavailable to drive through during business hours, and are bordered by kiosks which either say “Stop” or “Open to through traffic”. These closed hours change and the hours are posted on the kiosk.

If you don't buy a parking permit, you will likely receive a ticket when trying to park on campus, with the exception of certain days and times. There is a sign at the entrance to each parking lot, which says what time of day a permit is required to park there. Some parking lots are restricted year-round (Park & Ride, Red, Blue and Gold), and others are restricted only when classes are in session (Yellow and residence halls). See Parking Regulations for more detailed information, and Map for lot numbers and specific parking locations.


Roger Hill Volunteering

The United Way Roger Hill Volunteer Center works to foster positive change in the local community through volunteerism. They implement a variety of strategies to actively recruit volunteers of all ages and from all walks of life to serve in Douglas County.

The center acts as a clearinghouse for the volunteer needs and opportunities available in Douglas County. Individuals or groups who want to volunteer can access a searchable database or work directly with our staff to find opportunities to serve.


United Way of Douglas County

2518 Ridge Court, Room 200

Lawrence, KS 66046


Frequently Asked Questions

How do I stay informed?

Honors Weekly Email

The Honors Program sends out a weekly e-mail to its students with information on getting involved in programs on campus, events being held by the Honors Program and in Nunemaker, and resources available to honors students.  In addition to Honors Emails, freshmen will receive periodic informational emails about the university.

Facebook (departments, honors, offices)

The Honors Program, KU departments, and most KU clubs and organizations have facebook pages provide students with updates and current events within the program. 

Honors Program Facebook Link:

KU Twitter

In addition to facebook pages, many programs and organizations at KU have twitter accounts that provide students with updates on resources and opportunities available to students. The Honors Program’s twitter handle is @KUHonorsProgram.

Honors Program Twitter Link:

KU Calendar 

The KU calendar provides students with dates related to the beginning and end of each semester, national holidays, breaks, sporting events, and other events at the university. 

Calendar Link:

How do I join clubs and organizations?

All student organizations are registered through SILC. To look at a list of campus organizations, click here! Here, you can find contact information and websites for these groups, where you can often find information regarding who to contact about joining. If you’re interested in joining, email the club president or visit the organization’s website to explore steps for new or interested members.

Will I have enough time for campus organizations and my honors classes?

You will absolutely have time to participate in campus organizations, in addition to doing well in your honors classes. As honors students, you have already demonstrated you are well-rounded, motivated, and involved members in your academic and local communities. Just as you have shown exceptional academic aptitude, you have also shown you can achieve balance between schoolwork and other aspects of student life. It is important to maintain this balance during your time at KU, and to continue to pursue out of classroom experiences. Volunteer work, research, and participating in clubs will convey to scholarship committees, future employers, and graduate and medical programs that you are an organized, driven, and well-rounded individual.

To look at a list of campus organizations, click here

To learn more about musical opportunities (choir, band, orchestra, and lessons), check out the School of Music website. There are plenty of options for non-music and non-performance majors, including Marching Band and the University Symphony.

To view audition information for the University Theatre, click here.

Click here if you’re interested in joining the University Daily Kansan.

Check out the KJHK webpage if you’re interested in becoming a DJ for KU’s own radio station.

How does one pick the organizations to try?

Check out this list and see what sounds interesting to you!

What transportation options does KU offer?

KU provides bus services to all students. This is a joint service with Lawrence Transit, so all the routes and schedules are available on their website. Here is a link to the beginner’s guide to buses: If you plan to live in the residence halls, you will most likely ride the “43 Campus Red Circulator” which stops at residence halls and on Jayhawk Blvd. You can find information about this and other routes at

KU also offers two services for after-hours transportation: Saferide and Safebus. Saferide operates during the fall and spring semesters Monday through Sunday from 10:30 p.m. until 2:30 a.m. Safebus operates during the fall and spring semesters on Thursday, Friday and Saturday evenings from 9 p.m. until 3 a.m. Both have rules and regulations for use. Click here for more information for Saferide and Safebus

Will I have enough time to get to my classes?

Most class periods will be separated by a minimum of ten minutes, which should be plenty of time to pass between most buildings on campus.  Students should be able to easily get from any building on Jayhawk Boulevard (such as Wescoe or Budig Hall) or Sunnsyide Avenue (such as Haworth or Summerfield Hall) to any other building on those two streets in this time. However, it may be challenging to get from Nunemaker or a building on West Campus (such as the Pharmacy Building or the Dole Institute of Politics) to Jayhawk Boulevard in less than 15-20 minutes.

How can I avoid the hills?

In order to avoid hills while walking from Daisy Hill to campus, students can take the residential route to class.  Rather than going down the hill on Bob Billings, students can take Engel Road (where the Residence Halls are located) towards Crescent and walk through the Catholic Campus Center.  Once through the center, go right on Crescent  and continue past the bookstore and Chi Omega fountain onto Jayhawk Boulevard.  For students not living on Daisy Hill, look forward to getting your KU calves, because hills are inevitable.

Can I ride my bike?

YES, bike racks are available for bike parking at several points on campus (such as by Budig and Wescoe Halls).

How do I stay safe on campus?

You can follow this website for helpful links regarding campus safety, some of which include KU’s emergency light infrastructure, Saferide, and Safebus. KU also has a campus alerts system will inform you of potential issues, threats, or closings regarding the Lawrence campus. This is especially helpful to determine weather-related closings. Students can also opt-in for a text message-based alerts system, which will send alerts straight to your cell phone and email address. You can sign up for this system under the Student Center in Enroll and Pay.

How can I learn about potential job opportunities?

There are several career fairs over the course of the school year that give you opportunities to speak and network with potential employers. Although many of these employers are seeking full-time employees (recent graduates), you may find a summer internship or network with companies that may employ you in a few years after graduation.  You may also want to visit to explore opportunities to work at KU. Bear in mind that you are not allowed to work over 30 hours per week of on-campus jobs (while classes are in session).  You can work off-campus in the Lawrence community as well; however, an off-campus job may not provide as much flexibility as a job at KU, where employers understand your commitment to your education. Another helpful website is the University Career Center, at where you can get help writing resumes and cover letters, and connecting with employers.

As a freshman, how do I meet people?

·       Resident assistants/Proctors.  Your RAs/Proctors are there to help you adjust to living away from home and will help you move in and make friends.

·       Floor activities.  One of the ways your RAs/Proctors can help you meet people is organizing floor activities like movie nights and floor dinners.

·       Classmates.  You’ll meet people in all of your classes, widening your social circle.

·       Clubs.  During Hawk Week, you will have the opportunity to explore and join many student organizations and clubs at KU.  Ask your seminar assistant or a peer mentor whether they’d take you to different organizations’ meetings.

·       Volunteer.  Through volunteering, you’ll meet diverse and interesting people while at the same time adding to your résumé.  Go to opportunities organized by Honors students include Alternative Breaks and the CCO.

How can I become involved in community service on and off campus?

·       Center for Community Outreach.  The CCO has a number of unique programs that can get you involved in a broad array of service opportunities.

·       University Honors Program. The Honors Program sends regular e-mails to Honors students detailing a variety of opportunities including some for community service.

What is the best resource for when I am sick?

Watkins Health Center located next to the Recreation Center is a great on- campus resource for any illness. The facility is staffed with kind and dedicated professionals. For more information on their services for KU students check out their website:

How do I stay healthy?

Watkins Health Center has a webpage full of quick links to information regarding health and fitness, sexual health, alcohol, and mental health. Watkins offers a full range of testing for sexually transmitted infections, HIV, Tuberculosis, and more. The health center also sells safer sex kits, which includes 3 condoms for only $0.50.

The KU Recreational Center is a fantastic resource for students to utilize in order to stay fit and health. They open at 5:30am Monday - Friday and stay open until midnight Sunday-Thursday. Go to their website to learn more about hours, intramurals, and outdoor pursuits.

For a comprehensive list of nutrition facts for food and drinks available at KU’s dining halls, The Market, Underground, and coffee shops, check out the Net Nutrition webpage.

For students seeking confidential and affordable mental health services, check out the KU Psychological Clinic webpage or the KU Counseling and Psychological Services webpage.

Who should I contact when I am concerned about my grades?

There are many people you could discuss your grades with depending on your situation. If you are struggling in one class specifically, maybe start out by contacting your TA or if you don't have one, your professor. If you feel that you are being graded unfairly and you cannot seem to talk to your professor about it, then maybe the head of the department for that class may be a good resource. Finally, if you are struggling with multiple classes or have concerns about your major then the best person to talk to would be your counselor. Your honors counselor is a great resource as well, but the person that would be able to help you with questions specific to your major would be your counselor from your school of study.

What are the best ways to study?

Each person has their own studying routines and they even change based on subject, so there is no specific way that will help you study "the right way" every time. A few general tips are:

1. Reviewing notes if not every day, then at the end of every week is a great way to study. This way you won't cram everything in right before a test. And studying small chunks at a time helps you remember things better.

2. If you are studying specifically for a test, plan a study schedule at least a week before the test and try to study a little bit every day. This way, if you have concerns, you aren't finding out about them the day before the test by when you cannot have them answered.

3. If you are an easily distracted person, avoid studying in large groups. The library is a great place to go to study by yourself or with a few other people.

If you are having trouble studying for a specific class, don't be shy to approach your professor and ask them for tips as well.

Where are the best locations to study with the least distractions?

     For personal, quiet study environments:

          - Nunemaker provides comfortable seating and study refreshments provided.

          - Anschutz quiet study areas offer minimal noise and an appropriate study environment.

          - Java Break on 7th Street for great coffee during the late night study sessions - open 24 hours.

     For group study environments:

          - Fraser classrooms after campus hours that include whiteboards and electronic overhead material.

          - Spencer Art Museum classrooms are underutilized but great for small groups.

          - Anschutz group study rooms must be reserved in advance, but provide all the essentials for studying in groups.

What are good places to eat?

Ask upperclassmen, your Resident Assistant/Proctor, or just go explore Mass street during some downtime. The following are a list (not exhaustive) of some opportunities and deals often used by KU Students

Tea at Three (in the Union) -- Thursdays

Throwback Thursdays (in the OMA) -- Thursdays

@FreeFoodAtKU (find free food on campus)

Dempsey’s Half Price Burgers -- Tuesdays

Bird Dog Half Price Burgers -- Tuesdays

715 Half Price Gourmet Pizzas after 10pm -- Thursdays

Rudy’s Pizza $4.00 small one-topping pizza’s -- Wednesday

For the long nights spent studying before a test, Jimmy John’s and Pizza Shuttle are open late and deliver for relatively cheap. You can also find a friend and order from Tryyaki (Asian), who offer free delivery for orders over $10.

The KU Bookstore also gives away coupon books at the beginning of each semester. These books offer plenty of great deals and usually include the most popular establishments among KU students. If you don’t know where to eat, this is usually a good starting point.

What should I know about academic planning?

The College of Liberal Arts and Sciences has a great website for academic planning and advising help. They offer forms and tools that can help you determine what you need to know before going into and advising appointment, and even have pre-established four year plans for most majors within the college! While these are mostly geared towards those within the College of Liberal Arts and Sciences (including pre-professional students), those outside the college can still benefit from these links, and most have similar websites of their own devoted to their specific college.

It is also recommended to not only schedule advising appointments often and early, but to also seek out faculty mentors within your area of study. You can find tips for establishing and maintaining a good relationship with a faculty mentor here. These relationships can often result in excellent letters of recommendation, networking, and improved job or internship opportunities.

How do I begin a research project or research paper?

KU Libraries offers some great resources for starting the research process. For information on finding materials, using databases, and making an appointment with a research librarian, click here. One of the most popular research methods used by the KU Libraries are the LibGuides, which are resources (databases, journals, books, web pages) divided by subject or even by specific classes. Course LibGuides are developed, often in collaboration with the course teacher, as information resource recommendations to support assignments and readings in a specific class. Ask your instructor if his/her course has an associated course guide.

A great step after gathering initial resources (articles, books, etc.) is to create a document organizing your thoughts and questions pertaining to your research goal, and brief summaries of what you’ve read that relates to these initial inquiries. For instance, if you are interested in starting a project related to body image, you would find book chapters and articles broadly related to body image, and start to narrow in on a more specific topic (e.g. body image in college students). From there, you can start to ask more specific questions (e.g. what influence body image in college students? How are men and women different? How does social media affect body image for college students?” After you have selected a few specific questions and explored the literature, it is time to find a research advisor who can help guide you with your project. This might be a professor you’re already doing research with, or a professor whose research pertains to your interests or questions. Getting involved in research labs are perhaps the best way to spark new research ideas and get started on an independent project.

How do I get involved in the Honors Program?

Staying connected to the Honors Program is a great way to learn about ways to stay involved. Check out ourFacebook,Twitter,andNews and Eventspages,and keep an eye out for emails you’ll receive from the Honors Program.

How do I find an academic advisor? What should I talk about with my academic advisor?

The most important thing is to seek out more than one academic advisor. Think of this as making a team of advisors to help you graduate and achieve your goals. No one person knows all the answers to your questions, and some may help challenge your perspectives in different ways. A great way to meet an advisor is through your courses or in your major department. Try to cultivate a relationship early, and actively engage your professor or advisor both in and outside the classroom. Meet regularly with your advisor. Prepare thoroughly for your appointment with your advisor. Using the DPR (Degree Progress Report), develop a proposed two- to four-semester schedule of courses for general education and major requirements and for electives. Prepare questions to ask, and concerns to discuss. Complete forms for the advisor to sign. Bring plan, forms, undergraduate catalogue, and most recent DPR to the appointment. This is also a great person to talk to if you’re interested in a four-year plan. The College of Liberal Arts and Sciences has a series of pre-established four-year plans for those majors within the college, and most other colleges also have similar plans on their websites or with their advisors. 

Requirements for graduating with University Honors are as follows:

8 Honors Units, a freshman honors seminar and have a minimum 3.25 GPA in courses at KU.

1. Honors Courses Requirement (Minimum of 6 courses) Honors Courses, Graduate Level (700+) Courses, a Less Commonly Taught Language, and/or an Honors Course Contract.

2. Honors Experiences Requirement (minimum of 1) must consist of the following Honors Experiences: Study Abroad, departmental honors, documented Research experience, approved and documented Research experience approved and documented Internship experience or approved and documented Community Service.

3. The 8th unit may be fulfilled with either an Honors Course or Honors Experience.

Apply to the Honors Program! 

Course offerings are “among the most comprehensive in the nation,” according to “A Review of Fifty Public University Honors Programs”
98% of University Honors Program graduates are employed or accepted to graduate school within six months of graduation
40% of students in the University Honors Program conduct research before graduation
9 to 1: Average ratio of KU honors students to faculty advisors
1 of only 7 programs nationwide to receive a top rating from “A Review of Fifty Public University Honors Programs” in 2014
60% of University Honors Program students study abroad
KU honors students select their advisors from top-ranked KU faculty
RT @KUnews : Join @KUStudyAbroad today to #exploreKU 's International Jayhawk Festival and celebrate global community and diversity. https://…

KU Today