Honors Freshman Seminar Assistants
The University Honors Program is now accepting applications for Honors Freshman Seminar Assistant (HFSA) volunteer positions for Fall 2018. Application review begins December 6.
As a Seminar Assistant, you will be a role model, a resource, and a mentor to a new group of freshmen. The University Honors Program places one or two HFSAs in each section of the Freshman Seminar based on the academic interests of the instructor, the HFSA and the students. Because of the diversity of academic interests of incoming students, we encourage Honors students from all disciplines to apply (see guidelines below).
To be the best HFSA you can be, you should be motivated by a desire to help other students adjust to college and share the wealth of information you’ve accumulated while at KU and in the Honors Program. The role of the HFSA will primarily be that of mentor to the incoming class of students. As an expert in being a student at KU in the Honors Program, you might be given the lead in portions of classes, so as to share your experience and lead first year students to learn the ropes more quickly. Working with the instructor of your section, you might also be invited to lead discussions, hold office hours, participate in round-table discussions on related topics, attend co-curricular programing, etc.
- Successful completion of the Freshman seminar/tutorial with a grade of A.
- Have a GPA of 3.7 or above.
- By Fall 2018, being a Sophomore, Junior or Senior with an interest in teaching, mentoring or sharing your KU and Honors Program experience.
Duties: A Seminar Assistant's Role
- Treat all students in the course with dignity and respect.
- Treat grades and the content of student assignments confidentially and share these only with the instructor.
- Attend class regularly and complete all assigned course readings.
- Meet with Instructor when prompted and/or when the need is felt on your part.
- Complete assigned duties in a professional manner (you might be assigned one or more of the following): leading discussion, grading assignments, holding office hours, taking attendance, keeping records, moderating a panel at the end of the semester First Year Symposium, preparing a poster in collaboration with your students representing the content of your seminar.
- Attend workshops and training sessions scheduled throughout the Spring semester to introduce the group of UFSAs to all things teaching assistants at KU need to know from privacy concerns to KU resources to best teaching practices.
To apply, simply fill the application form. No recommendation letter is expected, but be sure that the faculty or staff member you ask to be a reference is available for a short phone conversation.
You can help freshmen make their transition to college a smooth and successful one! Join our team of Honors Freshman Seminar Assistants!
For more information, please contact Anne Dotter (firstname.lastname@example.org).